Grandma's Minted Lemonade

We interrupt your scheduled programming to talk about my Grandma's Minted Lemonade.

Unfortunately, with the price of lemons, homemade lemonade can't be considered frugal. But if you have an extra couple of dollars in your grocery budget, you should try this out!

This recipe goes way back. The story goes, when my grandmother was little, her mom used to fill a great graniteware cooler with this lemonade and bring it when they visited her mother.

It's refreshing. . .and it's faintly green. Can't be beat.

Grandma's Minted Lemonade
  • 2 1/2 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice 
  • 1 3/4 – 2 c. sugar (to taste) 
  • A nice fistful of fresh mint (discard the stems) 

  1. Harvest your mint, and squeeze those lemons! I halved the recipe when I made it last, and it required about 5 lemons. The job is less onerous if you can use a cheerful cobalt glass juicer. :)
  2. Put the lemon juice and mint in a blender and blend till the mint is ground up small. Slosh into a gallon-sized pitcher, stir in the sugar, fill the remaining space with water and ice. 


This is simple to make, and nothing is more nostalgic than fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Double the recipe and fill a huge cooler for the 4th of July!


Comments

Springjoy said…
This sounds amazing! I wonder if I could use m frozen lemon juice? Just cuz lemon peels make me have a rash... hmm..
This sounds so good! I love trying new drink recipes. :)
Unknown said…
Yum! My grandmother's recipe was half lemons and half oranges juiced with sugar, water and ice; but I've got to try this Mint version.
Ginger said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
unknownjim said…
Wow, that sounds good!!!!!
Marissa Deen said…
Yes, I'm sure you could! :) Might not have that "fresh squeezed" taste, but any lemonade is good lemonade in my book.