Cleaning Stained Coffee Cups--the secret ingredient


It's been two weeks since I last blogged here. Do you ever just find yourself going about your daily life, doing normal daily things, and asking, "What's the point?" 

As in, there are kids starving all over the world. Here I am, writing about how to clean stuff with vinegar. 


I get this feeling often, and about all sorts of different things. I guess it's a good feeling? But instead of spurring me to action, it tends to just paralyze me.

I'm not going to try to answer the questions that feeling poses, though. (At least, not today.)

So about your coffee maker. Is it kind of dingy? Is the glass carafe permanently stained sepia? Yeah, it happens. I happen to know a really easy trick to make it look like new!

Cleaning Coffee Stains with Vinegar
  1. Put a cup or two of vinegar into the reservoir of your coffee maker, and then fill it to its maximum capacity with water. Skip the coffee grounds this time. ;) Turn it on, and let this diluted vinegar run through its system.
  2. After it's finished brewing, promptly turn the warming plate off. Lift the lid, being careful not to be scalded by the steam, and wipe off as much of the interior as you can reach with a damp rag. Remove the basket, and wipe it too. Wherever there was an oily, brown coffee residue will wipe clean, no scrubbing required!
  3. Now, pour your steaming, hot vinegar solution out of the carafe and into any stained mugs you have laying around.
  4. Don't burn yourself, and wipe out the inside and bottom of the glass carafe. It may be helpful to set the carafe on a pot holder or towel to make sure the glass doesn't shatter from being put onto a cold counter top. Let the carafe cool, then rinse.
  5. Now, start dumping the vinegar out of your mugs, making sure to reserve some of the vinegar solution in another bowl or mug.
  6. Dip your damp rag into the hot vinegar solution, and scrub your coffee stained mugs. These won't wipe out QUITE as easily as the carafe did, but a little scrubbing with hot vinegar should make them look almost as good as new!
  7. Run a cycle of plain old water through your coffee maker to flush any vinegar residue, and you're good to go!
It works for tea stains, too. This may just be the easiest cleaning project ever. 

What have you been up to lately?

Comments

Cathie said…
You're not the only one who gets those feelings. I do all the time, and mine is on a subject that is as frivolous as it gets. But I suppose it doesn't mean that we should be all doom and gloom, and not enjoy all the beautiful things in God's world. I think we just need to be as mindful about others and try to help them as much as we can, too. Which, in my case at the moment... just means donating once in a while to charities when I can, and donating things that I actually still LIKE a lot.
Unknown said…
Isn't vinegar amazing?
I'll have to remember this the next time we're cleaning out the coffee maker! Thanks for linking this up to Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop!
Leah said…
Good to know, I have one very stained mug that I need to clean.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
If you add a little baking soda with the vinegar to your coffee cups they will be easier to clean.
Unknown said…
Denture cleaner tablets also work well and disinfect any little cracks.