An Autumnal Smattering

This is the view from my desk. When the sun's just right, the apples are like rubies in a leafy filigree.

The high today was 43 degrees, and, in fact, there's an 80% chance of snow on Saturday! After such a hot summer, this abrupt change makes me feel like hibernating.


So I've been hibernating--mainly in the kitchen.

I "baked" some potatoes in my crock-pot this afternoon according to these instructions. . .I must say, I recommend this method! For some reason, the potatoes seemed more flavorful than usual. I wonder if the longer, slower cooking causes the natural sugars to caramelize somewhat?

And then I ate a Dutch Baby. 

Um, NO. This has not turned into a creepy zombie-lady Halloween blog. A couple months ago, I read about Dutch Baby Pancakes in Molly Wizenberg's book, and when I came across this recipe at Dearest Nature I could resist no longer.

Take a look at it--a Cinnamon Apple Dutch Baby. I think this is an epoch in my life.

I'm horrible at making pancakes. When I attempt pancakes, they're always lopsided, and I never flip them at the right time, and they crumble into panmush.

Call this recipe a pancake for dummies. You basically saute sliced apples, pour batter over the top of them, and then bake it for 20 minutes. Foolproof! -- and what's more, me proof!

I'm sorry, there are no leftovers.

Slathered in maple syrup, that thing was a slice of heaven.

If you're still working on your 5 Things with Apples from the fall checklist, you should try this out!





How's the weather where you're at, and what's in your oven?


Comments

Dianna said…
I love slow cooker baked potatoes too. And you get to smell the potatoes all day, instead of just an hour or so.

We also like Dutch babies. I like to sprinkle brown sugar all over the top before I bake it, and then we skip the syrup. I'm terrible with pancakes, too. I always try to flip them before they're ready, or else I let them burn. Ack.
Layla said…
I've heard of baking potatoes in the crock pot, but now I'll give it a try!
Totally of topic, but today I was going through a subscription to Home Economiser (http://homeeconomiser.com/) and kept some that I wanted to keep but have a handful of ones I don't need anymore. Would you like them?
You might like some of their tips and can try them and share your experiences in your blog --- or whatever (not trying to tell you WHAT to do LOL!
I paid about $2 each for them and would hate to just toss them in recycling, especially when they're in good condition and someone might enjoy them.
Marissa Deen said…
Mmm, brown sugar. . .Thanks for commenting, Mrs. Mordecai!
Marissa Deen said…
Well, sure! :) They sound fun. I'd certainly like at least to reimburse you for shipping. If you use paypal, you could send a money request through there to msobaskie@yahoo.com. I'll message you my address on facebook.