My Mom's Julekage


Merry Christmas!

Posts may be random and sporadic over the next week because I'm in Minnesota with my family. Here's a little snippet from today's goings on. . .Every year for as long as I can remember, my mom has made a loaf (or three. . .or five. . .) of Julekage.


Norwegian Julekaga
Adapted from the recipe from Scandinavian Classic Baking by Pat Sinclair as published in the 12-20-12 St. Paul Pioneer Press.

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 pkg yeast
  • 3-4 cups bread flour
  • 1 tsp cardamom
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup candied fruit (citron, red and green cherries)
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • 1 egg, beaten
Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted + extra
  • 2-3 T milk
  • dash of vanilla
  • extra red and green candied cherries
  1. Add all the dough ingredients to a bread machine according to your machine's instructions.
  2. If you have a sweetbread cycle that beats for the addition of fruits, set it to that and add the candied fruits and raisins at that time.
  3. Let it go through the first raising cycle, and at the end of the cycle, remove it from the pan and shape it. . .My mom braids it: cut it into three equal parts and loosely braid it. However, I think it's traditional just to shape it into a round loaf.
  4. Let it raise until double in size, then bake at 375F in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. A little longer if you do a round loaf. You'll want it lightly brown and it should sound slightly hollow when you tap it. If it's still soft enough to take an indent, it's not done.
  5. As soon as it's out of the oven, mix the milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add more powdered sugar if necessary to achieve a drizzle-able consistency. "Between gravy and pudding," my mom interjects. You'll want it a little on the thick side because when it hits the hot bread it will get thinner and run off.
  6. Drizzle it back and forth over your loaf, then arrange halved  and quartered candied cherries into rosettes.

Does your family have any traditional recipes?


Comments

Meredith said…
Oh my goodness--I came across your blog from pinterest and saw this post I had to tell you this story. When I was in 7th grade we had to prepare a recipe from another country and bring it to class. I got Norway--and in our library this was the only recipe they had! (pre internet days!) ANYway my grandmother helped me bake because she had plenty of experience baking bread from scratch. BUT our version turned out horrible...it looked like Jabba the Hut! lol So I had to take it to school and be so embarrassed, of course none of the kids wanted a sample of my country hee hee. But God bless the teacher he acted like it was the best thing he ever tasted. I was hugely embarrassed at the time, but it was a great memory that me and my 'Memaw' shared and laughed about. Thanks for bringing back the memory!
Marissa Deen said…
Aw. :) What fun! You may have noticed I said making Julekage is my mom's tradition. . .My yeast-baking never turns out! Haha! So I can relate.
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks, Kathy! :) I'll subscribe to your blog and send the address to my mom. She would really like to get chickens once she's settled into her new home.