Spiced Raspberry Bars

A lot of holiday recipes are kind of. . .well. . .frou-frou. Chill the dough, roll it out, cut it into shapes or weave it into a knot, dip it in melted chocolate, whatever.

I'm glad to report that this festive recipe takes only about five minutes of hands-on time. And the results? Yummmmm. 

Not to mention,while it's in the oven, your house will smell seriously delicious.

Spiced Raspberry Bars
(adapted from this recipe which I used because the dough is so melt-in-your-mouth to-die-for. Yes, two hyphenated statements were necessary.)
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 c. rolled quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves + extra for sprinkling
  • 1 c. your favorite raspberry jam
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Whisk the dry ingredients together with a fork, and then cut in the butter till  everything's nice and clumpy.
  2. Press two cups of this mixture into the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan. Slather on the raspberry jam, leaving a little space around the edges, and then top with the rest of the oats mixture. 
  3. Sprinkle with extra cloves and bake for 35 minutes or until the top is crisping and the jam is bubbly. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it. (It will be hard to wait, but just imagine the sensation of molten jam stuck to the roof of your mouth. . .Yeah.)
You can eat the whole pan in one sitting if you want, because raspberries are a fruit and oats are Heart Healthy. At least that's what I keep telling myself. . . .



Shared at:

Sumo's Sweet Stuff: Market Yourself Monday // The Dedicated House: Make it Pretty Monday // Creating My Way To Success: A-Round-Tuit // Stone Gable: On The Menu Monday // Sew Chatty: Made With Love // Ninth Street Notions: I Made It! Monday // The Gunny Sack: What's in the Gunny Sack? // Serendipity and Spice: Manic Monday // Home Stories A to Z: Tutorials and Tips // Sugar Bee Crafts: Take-A-Look Tuesday // Mandy's Recipe Box: Totally Tasty Tuesdays // Claiming Our Space: Tout It Tuesday // Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesday // Not Just A Housewife: Show Me What Ya Got // Gingersnap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday // Practically Functional: The Fun in Functional // Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday //


Comments

Amanda said…
Yum! I love cardamom anything. Link up any time to I Made It! Monday at Ninth Street Notions.
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks for visiting, Amanda! :) Will do.
Now that is my kind of recipe. I bet it smells so delicious baking! Come and visit us this week. We are giving away a wonderful new novel by a very talented Southern author.
Layla said…
If I make this I'll let you know how it turns out, I love the idea of it making the whole house smell good.
Layla said…
How do you add the text to your pictures? They always look really nice.
Anonymous said…
Hands down, best blog ever! I just love your personality and the way you write and best of all , the simple frugal tips you have for living on a tight budget and within your means. Sooo refreshing. Can't wait to try this recipe and get caught up by reading all the past topics I have missed! Blessings to you Marissa!
Jill said…
Yummy - they sound so good! Pinning this to try sometime!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks! I'll check it out! :)
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks, Layla! :) I edit my photos with GIMP which is free to download if you google it. It's REALLY similar to Photoshop and pretty user-friendly.
Layla said…
Thanks, and should the spices in the recipe be ground?