A Smarter Way to Store Bacon

Just a quick little tip for you today. . .

Have you ever had some bacon in your freezer, wanted to use a couple slices of it, tried to defrost it "just enough" to get those slices off, and:

1) Froze your fingers off, and
2) Ripped your bacon to shreds in the process?

Or is that just me?

Or maybe, you just need a couple slices, but you end up using the whole package rather than re-freeze it?

Here's a smarter way to freeze and store bacon. . .

  1. Before you stick your bacon in a freezer, take it out of its package. . .
  2. Lay it flat, strip by strip, in a single layer on plastic wrap, rolling it over on itself as you go.
  3. Tear off the plastic wrap and roll the end over. You'll have a delicious cylinder of bacon.
  4. Put it in a freezer bag, squeeze all the air out, and seal.
  5. Next time you need a couple slices of bacon, just unroll your cylinder and take as much as you need--since all the strips are separated from each other by a layer of plastic wrap, they won't be stuck together!
I don't remember if I came up with this brilliant idea myself, or if I read it somewhere. Let me know if there's someone I should credit!


What's your best time-saving tip in the kitchen?

Shared at:

Comments

LilyWhite said…
Wow. This is stinking genius! Thanks for sharing this in our hop!
xoxo, Jordan
www.lilywhite-designs.com
Sara said…
I do something similar, but instead of wrapping it in plastic wrap I roll each slice up individually. Then I can just grab a roll/slice out of the freezer. So easy!

Here is my post on it: http://sneakyspoons.blogspot.com/2012/10/bacon.html
This is genius yet so simple! We've wasted a lot of bacon by not storing it correctly. Thank you for saving our bacon!
Self Sagacity said…
It sounds like a plan, awesome idea. Hopefully, I can take it out singly in the first place without breaking it to pieces, lol.
Fluster Buster said…
What a good idea. I saw your link on Serendipity and Spice. I would love for you to share your creativity with my friends @ http://www.flusterbuster.com/search/label/Fluster%20Muster%20Party

Robin@ Fluster Buster
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks Jordan! :)
Marissa Deen said…
Well, that's clever! Thanks for sharing, I might have to try that out :)
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks for visiting, Carrie! :)
Marissa Deen said…
Very true, I hate it when one end gets all mashed and stuck together! :) Thanks for visiting!
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks for visiting, Robin! :) I'll take a look
Smart idea that I pinned! New follower!
Unknown said…
You're so smart!! :) I always make the whole package... mmm bacon.
Brilliant! We always just make the whole package cuz my husband will eat however many pieces I don't eat, but this is great for when he's not around. :-)
great tips, i'm definitely a fingers frozen person!
Anonymous said…
Of course, slap the back of your hand on the forehead moment! Thanks
Jenna
I liked this idea so much I'm going to feature it as my favorite post from our last Frugal Crafty Home blog hop! Thanks for making sure no bacon gets wasted ;)
Clever! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com
That’s a great idea, you are really smart. Now why didn’t this idea come to me?
Roxana White said…
I always store my bacon in the freezer when I buy it BOGO. this is a great idea. I'm working on a Bacon Round-Up. I saw this on Fun in Functional's features. Mind if I share your post? I'll link back to you so that people have to come to your blog to read your tip. I won't post your info, just your photo and a prompt to check you out ;)

Roxana @ fourelevenrox
Amy said…
Absolutely genius! I've been dreading making one of my meals those week for that very reason! Totally individually freezing bacon from now on!
Marissa Deen said…
Thanks, Roxana! :) By all means, feel free--and I'll be sure to follow your blog, too. Bacon. . .yummm.
Unknown said…
I'm with Kristen ... just cook the whole thing up and eat it ... it's bacon! :)
Saw this featured over at Yvonne's. GREAT idea, thanks!
You are very smart. These tips are really precious. Thanks for sharing your sharp perception.
certshome said…
Thanks for an insightful post. These comments are really helpful. I found a lot of useful tips from this post Professional IT certification exams prove as a doorway to keep people update about their s , and more detail.

Unknown said…
Your article is really insightful! Looking at your work has enlightened me. I discovered a lot from this post. I will take a note of your site and will pursue to go through your forthcoming blog posts. Wonderful! Thanks a lot